Monday, April 24, 2006

Kung Fu TV

Sorry about the mis-leading title. This post is not about Kung Fu TV but I do mention Kung Fu and TV mainly because I strayed from one topic to another. The two topics are not related. This is what you'd call a ramble post where one thing leads to another ... just like sex ... except there's no climax at the end but you can think of this as the foreplay. Just don't expect to splooge.

Sister #8 (Tee) is a TV-holic and watches it morning until night. I would guess she watches over 8 hours of TV per day!

Sister #2 (Chin) doesn't watch TV. She watches her fish tank ... just sits there for like 30 minutes at a time staring at her fish.

We have now renamed the TV as the Tee-vision and the fish tank as the Tele-fishon.

Although Tee and Chin hardly speak any English they both understood my joke perfectly and we had a good laugh. I was relieved because I've tried to tell jokes before and they completely fail due to lack of understanding.

I joke with my deaf wife sometimes. Afterwards I tell her I'm joking by spelling JOKE in sign. I should just ask her what the sign is for "joke" so I don't have to keep spelling it, although it is really easy to sign.

You know how certain words or syllables just flow together like onomatopoeia or boogily-oogily. Well the letters J-O-K-E flow nicely together in sign language.

I've come up with my own marital arts based on sign. I call it Kung-Sign. The goal is to sign slowly and smoothly exaggerating your movements like you're doing Thai Chi or some Kung Fu steps. You attempt to make each sign flow in the next like it is one motion ... and you do it with style and throw a little body language and Kung Fu stance into the mix. It always gets a good laugh.

Each deaf person makes up a sign for their name so you don't have to spell their name. The lazy way is to sign the first letters in the first and last name. Since people know me by my middle name, James, here and my last name is Coston, they suggested I sign J-C as my sign-name.

J-C actually flows very nicely together but picking a good sign name is like picking a good domain name. It should be ...

* reflect your personality
* easy to remember
* quick and easy to sign

If you have a mole on your face or neck you just point to it. That uniquely identifies you and is easy to remember and sign. I don't have a mole or scar or anything to point to.

Kelly and I brainstormed for at least 3 weeks before we chose a sign that both she and I liked. She shot down all of my ideas so I trusted her judgement.

I frequently brush my hair back out of my face so that's my sign. Brushing my hair back out of my face. People immediately get it and remember it.

Coitus-Interruptus! Sorry, you don't get to cum. Was it good for you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home